Saturday, February 2, 2008

Self Supported Race Report

What a day!

I got up and the weather was colder than I liked. So, I took my time getting to the Gym. I left my house ready to go around 8:00 AM. I stoped by the run course to drop off my bottles of water & then went to T2 to drop off my running shoes and other gear. Then I went to the gym to set up T1 and made sure everything was ready before I hit the pool.

I started the swim just after 8:30 AM. I did have a dive start. The swim felt fast and easy. I did the first 500 yards in about 7:40. I slowed the pace down just a bit and did two 500's a round 7:50 pace. The last 500 I pushed a little more and did it at 7:45.

Total Time for the Swim - 31:14

I took my time in T1. I changed because it was still pretty cold out side.
Total Time for T1 - 11:30

The bike was hard. I don't know if it was the cold or what, but I could not get it going. Some where about mile 20 I was wishing I had my toe warmers. I thought my toes were going to fall off. Other than than the only other issue I had was that I stoped to pee about mile 49. Well, I stepped in some mud and when I went to get back on my bike I could not clip my right foot in the toe clip. Suck! The last 7 miles were very tuff not being able to get a good pull with my right leg.

Bike Total Time - 3:38:47

T2 was simple. I changed shoes go something to eat and hit the bathroom.

T2 Time - 7:27

Run was good. I did my first lap of 6.55 in 1 hour and 15 min. However before I did the second lap I tried something new. I ate half of a PB & J sandwich and it hit the spot. I was able to negative split the second lap to meet my goal time. The second lap was 1 hour and 11 min. Also I meet up with one of my running buddies on lap 2 and that was a BIG moral boost.

Run Time 2:26::25

Total Time for the whole 70.3 miles was - 6:55:25

I felt good after I was done. My legs hurt but I didn't remember the pain being that bad. Going further than I had ever gone before was a neat feeling. It's hard to describe. All the work to not only be able to finish but finish in the time that you wanted to. How cool.

I think that doing this Self Supported Half will help me when I do the one in May. I now know that I can do the distance so now I plan to work on speed. I know I could have gone harder in the pool, the bike I was just off for some reason, and the run I can work on. Hopeful the Macon Half Ironman will be as successful as this one.

No comments: