Saturday, June 7, 2008

Runnin' Home

On Monday I did something a little crazy, I ran home from work. Now before you get carried away I want to say that I did not run home because of gas prices but that was a benefit from running instead of driving. However this is not the first time I’ve gone to work by some other means than a car.

When I first got married I would walk to work. I lived about 1 to 2 miles away so, it wasn’t that bad. At the time my wife’s car would not work so I let her drive my truck. I think I walked to work for about a week or two. I would sometimes get picked up and given rides home sometimes from people I knew and other times from strangers. That was kind of nuts. A few years later I started to ride my bike to work. I did that for a few weeks. I wish I could still do that but I need to bring my lap top and not to mention that I might need my car sometime during the day. So biking was fun but just not a good option.

Now running is a much better choice. You see I listen to crazy running/triathlon/hippie podcaste and they put these crazy ideas in my head. I’ve heard of different people running to and from work and thought I could do that. Now to most people running seems like a bad idea to begin with but when you're a runner / triathlete it’s not at all nutty. What I think is insane is when I go out run 10 miles or 70.3 miles like I did last weekend and end up in the same spot is dumb. So this way I can use my super powers for good and not evil.

It did take some planning to run to and from work. Here is what I did. On Monday I packed a bag of my running stuff, gels, water, and change of work clothes for the next day. I drove to work and then ran home that night when I got off work. This way my run was broken up over two days. I left my car at work so I would have it the next day if I needed it. When I got up on Tuesday I ran up to work drove my car 1 mile to Tony’s Gym and took a shower and then went to work. Monday night it was 7.1 miles in 1 hour and 22 minutes. Tuesday it was 6.6 miles in less than 1 hour and 10 minutes (I found a shorter way).

I don’t know if this will be a habit for me or not. I enjoyed that change of scenery very much. Also the challenge of running to work and the fact that I can’t cheat or quit or go slow because I have to be at work on time is really motivating to me. The next few weeks I will have Sarah Jane so I will have to get creative with any works that I do. Running from and to work will be out of the question

1 comment:

Jay said...

"...this way I can use my super powers for good and not evil."

I laughed out loud at this for some reason.