Saturday, March 14, 2009

Comparing Numbers

I was looking back at the two marathons that I’ve ran this year, The Disney on Jan 10th and The Albany Marathon on March 7th I noticed some interesting stuff. I ran each race completely different.

The Disney Marathon I ran as hard as I could from the start. I know going hard at the start of a marathon is never a good idea but I couldn’t help it. There was Fireworks & large crows cheering me on so I just keep on going. I think I only walked about 15 minutes during the first half of the race. The plan was to do a 4:1 run/walk ratio for the marathon. However I skipped a lot of the walk breaks and ran thru several of the early water stops. With that said, here were my splits for the Disney:

Mile 10 – 1:31:31
Mile 13.1 – 2:01:42
Mile 20 – 3:16:20
Mile 26.2 – 4:33:57


The Albany Marathon was a bit small & I ran with some friends so we started out a lot slower. I did a 3:1 run/walk ratio and took every walk break but the first one. I stopped at every water stop. So here were my splits for the Albany Marathon:

Mile 10 – 1:38:22
Mile 13.1 – 2:09:23
Mile 20 – 3:21:31
Mile 26.2 – 4:34:06

To Compare the numbers:

Mile 10 – I was about 7 minutes slower at Albany
Mie 13.1 – I was about 8 minutes slower at Albany
Mile 20 – I was about 5 minutes slower at Albany
Mile 26.2 – I was Only 6 Seconds slower at Albany

So Which Is It? The Tortoise or The Hair? All I know is that I felt better the next day being the Tortoise.

3 comments:

GagayMD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Learning As I Go said...

I think you went slower the second time is because your friends were with you. It seems to me as long as you enjoyed doing both then it shouldn't matter especially if you had fun. I think it's a great accomplishment to do either. You did a great job either way in my book.

sunshine said...

It is hard to not go out crazy in the beginning. There's always so much excitment and mild chaos all around. :)

I'm all about starting out slower and finishing stronger, personally. Plus, it's always a bonus to being able to walk halfway normal the next day. ;) Great job!