Monday, December 13, 2010

Any Tips For Cold Weather Runs?

You know the best part about being a runner it that you get to see views like this one. Last Saturday, my running group did a run around a local lake in town and we got to watch the sunrise. This time of year the run rise seems so beautiful. I don’t know if it is the crisp cool air or the angle of the earth but I always enjoy the sun rise more in the winter time.

Lately I haven't had the guts to get up and run much in the morning because it's been so FREAKING COLD. I live in South Georgia were it only gets below freezing a few times during the winter. But this year it has been one of the coldest that I can remember.  Tomorrow the air temp will be in the teens!

I am not use to all this cold weather. I've been getting most of my runs in at night when it is a little bit warmer than in the morning. It seems like the pavement is hotter too from the "heat" (or should I say warmth) of the day.

So what do you do on really cold days? Just man up and run? Go to the gym and hit the dreadmills? Pleas share with me any secrets’ for running on cold winter days. I've got a marathon that I'm training for in March and I've got to find a way to get me runs in.

Peace, Love, and Dirty Socks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man up and go outside. Thick socks, gloves, running tights, 2 shirts (1 long sleeve 1 short)cover those ears...

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

I live in OR and we have colder temps only occasionally. Although, when it is super cold out, I usually still man up and run. The reason being is that I generally run with a group so there's incentive to suit up and run. I recommend wearing stuff that's comfy, warm and sweat wicking. Layers and long tights are key. Gloves and a good hat are also very helpful on the cold days. PLus, you'll warm up quickly.