Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ironman Augusta 70.3 Race Report

The Ironman Augusta 70.3 was a great race. I had a blast last weekend running this race. I got to the race early to set everything up. I was feeling much better race morning after taking a Z-Pack for the last few days before the race. It was a weird feeling taking antibiotics before running 70.3 miles. I didn't get to eat as much as I would have liked to before the race because I was so sick. The plan for race was to be as efficient as possible. Here is how my day went...

The Swim

I was glad that I had one of the early swim starts. My wave started at 8:06. There were about 100 of us that jumped in the cold river and swam 1.2 miles down stream to T1. During the swim I tried to make every stroke count. I wanted to reach out as far as could, get a good roll of my hips and finish the stroke past my hips. I didn't want to burn too many calories on the swim so I wanted to be sure that every stoke counted. My swim split was 27:57! When I looked at my watch all I could say was WOW! With the help of the wet suit and the current from the river I knocked out a great swim split.

I was talking to my Big Brother after the race and told him my swim time and he wasn't that impressed. He did the math and said that I only beat a piece of drift wood by 30 minutes. Even though he couldn't beat me he still had to give me a hard time as only a big brother could. Thanks Bro!

T2

It was a long run in and out of transition. As hard as I tried to remember where my bike was I still had trouble finding it in the middle of the other 3000 bikes. I got my wetsuit off no problem and headed out on my bike. It took me 5:06 to get in and out.

Bike

When I stared out on the bike the wind was at my back for the first few miles but that was it. It seem like the wind was in my face for most of the ride. The hills weren't as big and bad as I thought they were going to be. However the hills seem long to me. They were not steep but they seemed to go on forever. I did take advantage of the downhills.

My bike time was not impressive at all. I was very disappointed in it because I had worked hard to get faster on the bike. I finished the 56 mile ride in 3:27:19.

T2

Here it was pretty simple. I changed shoes, swapped helmet for hat, and grabbed some more gels. Total time 2:54

Run

The run was two laps. I did a 3:1 run/walk for the whole 13.1 miles. Downtown Augusta was beautiful. The first lap felt much longer than 6.5 miles. I felt good during the run. I was able to run a steady pace the whole time. I finished the run in 2:30:30.

My total time was 6:33:44. That is a New PR by 11 minutes!!! Here is finish line pictures of me and my race bling.






I'm so glad to be done with this race. I'm ready for some rest and relaxation. It was a hard long summer of training. Thanks to my wonderful wife who supported me since before the beginning. Thanks to my daughter who cheers me on everyday. Thanks to Adam & Dana for putting us up for the weekend. Thanks to Kellie for hooking my up with a wetsuit so that I didn't have to freeze in the cool Savannah River. Thanks to everyone who sponsored me with Team OneVerse! Thanks to everyone who reads & comments on this blog and on my twitter. You guys keep me going! I could not have crossed the finish line without All of You.


Life Is Good!

10 comments:

Eric said...

good job out there it was a great race

Unknown said...

Great Job! Build on this! The bike will come around.

Lora Abernathy said...

Driftwood? Sorry, but that time is impressive. Great job out there!

Kellie said...

Congrats on an amazing race. You should be very proud of yourself. Great to meet you and your wonderful wife. Relax and enjoy as next season will come faster than you think :)

Marlene said...

Congratulations! What an enormous accomplishment!

Ashley said...

Nice work on the PR!!! Great photos too! :)

Lindsay said...

congrats!! a pr, and by 11 minutes no less! way to go!!

big bro is funny, does he swim/tri too so he can back his smack-talk up? :)

Anonymous said...

11 minute PR?! awesome!! Congrats, this is an amazing accomplishment!! Love reading about Tris - since I can't even imagine the transitions and adjusting to all those different movements. :) and, as always, great pics!

TriDaddy said...

Congrats on the PR! Great race and love the post-race pics!

Jay said...

Great race recap.. when's your next Tri? That seems like a great time for 3:1 run/walk. I'm doing the Long Beach Half-Marathon this weekend, and just hoping to finish around 3hrs.