Thursday, October 29, 2009

What Am I Training For?

That’s the question I’ve been asking myself ever since I finish Augusta 70.3. I’ve got a few local races that I want to do but I’m not signed up for any real “Big” races. By the time spring rolls around and triathlon seasons picks up I will be expecting my second child. I don’t want to sign up and train for a race and not be able to do it the race. It looks like any races that would require travel would have to be mid to late summer or early fall. So I could do most of my training for triathlons next spring.

What I’m looking at doing is training for the Snickers Albany Marathon, here in town. Its winter and I plan on running and lifting weights for the next few months. I really want to get a PR at the Albany Marathon and I don’t see why I can’t. The way it see it is marathon course is flat, I’ve ran it two other times, and it’s in my hometown. I guess you could say I have home field advantage.

This month I’ve been running five times a week. I’ve been doing one long run, one hill run, one tempo run, and two easy runs. I’m also working out at the gym about three times a week. I’ve never lifted consistently in my life. I’m hoping to lift regularly all winter long.

I’ve been told that winter miles equals summer smiles!

3 comments:

Marlene said...

I'm sure all of this strength training will make you a stronger runner. I'm trying to incorporate more of that myself.

Sounds like a great plan - I'd love a hometown marathon!

Lindsay said...

Congrats on expecting-not sure if I already knew that or not... Sounds like a well-thought out plan and surely the base-mileage & weight training will pay off big time when tri-training starts back up!

Julie @ ROJ Running said...

hmm how far away is Albany? If the medal is shaped like a snickers bar I'm in! LoL if they GIVE me a snickers at the end I'll do it too. Now if only I could find a cookie marathon...