Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Going To Race Sidney Lanier Bridge Run




I’m supper excited about going to St. Simon's Island this weekend and running the Sidney Lanier Bridge Run. I’m going to meet up with my friends Whitney & Robby to run the 5K. I’ve ran a lot 5K’s but this will be the “Hilliest” one for sure.

The race website says that there will only be 300 feet of flat course. The course will start on the southbound side of the bridge and go south over the bridge and return back over the bridge. The bridge is 7,780 feet long with the main span distance between towers being 1,250 feet. The climb up the bridge will be about 200 vertical feet within 3/4 mile or a greater than 6% grade and then down 3/4 mile. The website says this is a physically challenging course and should NOT be attempted by those not properly trained. What is “Properly Trained”?

This 5K is going to kick my butt! I have not been running hill repeats at all much less any hills. The good thing is that it is an out and back and once I cross the top of the bridge for the second time it will be ALL Down Hill. ! However it will be one of the more memorable 5Ks that I’ve run.

There is nothing like a weekend of racing and hanging out with friends.

Life Is Good!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you forgot to tell your fans that this is where your born!

It is going to fun though, I'm excited! :) woot woot.