Monday, September 13, 2010

I Was Consistently Consistent

Last week I had my first consent week of running in a long time. I ran Sunday (5 miles), Tuesday (5 miles), Wednesday (3 miles), and Thursday (5 miles). I tried to run last Saturday but I got about half mile down the road and was not feeling it. My joints were stiff and I opt. out of the run and walk back home. My total for the week was 18 miles! It’s been a long time since I’ve ran that much in one week.


Some keys to my success were...

1. I ran slower. I use the Galloway Run/Walk/Run Method when I run. But last week I used shorter intervals. I used a 2/1 interval. That is where I run for 2 minutes and then walk for 1 minute. The slower place with the walk breaks helped me recovery faster and be able to get out and run the next day. Also I wasn’t sore/ tired after the run so I could play with my kids some.

2. I slept more. I think I got a lot more sleep than I had in the past several weeks. Instead of staying up late and watching sports or surfing the web I went on to bed. I forget sometimes how much sleep is important to recovery and training.

3. I ate better. By no means do I eat like I should. I eat fried chicken and french fries everyday for lunch. I think I even can in from a run last and ate cookie dough as my “recover” snack. While I do eat a lot of junk last week I did try and make some healthier choices when I could.

Right now I’m feeling good and enjoying running again. I haven’t enjoyed working out in a long time. I hope I can keep it up for another week.

No comments: