Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Darton 5K Race Report

Last Saturday I ran a 5K at Darton College. It was an afternoon race and the weather was perfect. The temps were in the low 60’s with a light breeze. It was cool when the race started but I was hot by the end of the race.

The course was very fun because it was part asphalt part dirt part grass. We did a mile around the campus then a mile thru some trails behind the school and then a mile back thru the campus. The trails were so much fun. I get tired of doing 5K races thru the streets. This race was a nice change of pace.

During the race I was running beside / in front of a guy and a girl who were near my age. At the start they were a head of me but most of the time I was in front. However towards the end of the race they both tried to sprint their way in front of me. I keep holding them off till the last 500 yards or so. The girl got stride for stride with me and then I kicked it up a notch. There was no way I was going to let a girl pass me right at the end of the race.

As I made my last sprint to the finish I caught up to a guy who had just sprinted pass me about a 0.25 of mile back. The faster I ran the more I felt like I could pass him. And I did. It was a photo finish but I got him! Turns out the guy was in my age group and I beat him out for the podium.

I place 3rd in my age group with a time of 21:29. I was VERY Pleased with the race and the time. It was not a PR but as close as I’ve been in a couple of years.

Here I am with my race Bling.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go george!!!

JD said...

Never got bling. I'm jealous.

Excellent race!

George Houston said...

thanks. i love getting race bling. i always give it to my daughter because she loves to wear it around the house.

but don't be so jealous. there wasn't a lot of runners in my age group.

kotamundi said...

Good morning,
I was searching for the race results for the Darton Kickin Cavalier 5K when I stumbled across your blog. The girl that you beat was my daughter, Katie Meagher. She is a sophomore at Sherwood Christian Academy where she runs cross country & track and plays volleyball. The race was great and the weather was perfect. Congrats on a fine run.

Mark

George Houston said...

Mr. Meagher - your daughter is a very good runner and you should be very proud of her. I hope my daughter will be as active as she is one day. I was glad she was there at the race because she pushed me to do better.

I've also looked online for any race results but I've not been able to find them. If you are able to come across them please let me know.

Anonymous said...

They finally posted the Kickin Cavalier Race Results. They are at http://cavs.darton.edu/CC/results/20090221-Kickin_Cav_5K.pdf

Good luck with the Snickers Marathon tomorrow George. Katie has a conflict and can't run tomorrow :(

Mark