Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tips Tricks and Treats


On my blog I love to share information. This post is all about bicycle safety. Over the past few days I've been reading and learning about ways that I can be safe when I'm on my bike. These links I've found are a great read if you plan to ride your bike in traffic.

One thing that I don't have is RoadID. If you've runner or triathlete you need to have this. Basically it is a bracelet that has all of you information on you and who the EMS should contact if they were to find you passed out during training or if you got hit by a car. Right now my friend of at RunnerDude's Blog is giving away a $50 gift card to RoadID.

I also came across this story about two guys that were hit while on their bikes. It is an interesting read how they compare the two drivers. One guy does a hit & run while the other guy stays and helps.

Claim The Lane. Some say you should ride on the sidewalk and others say you should ride on the far right hand side of the road. Well, here is five reasons why you should claim the lane.

How Not To Get Hit By Cars - This link shows you real ways you can get hit and real ways to avoid them. I think my crash would have been #8 - The Left Cross


Life is Good.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I always think it's a great idea to "claim the lane" as long as you're visible. You can still be missed by careless drivers, even if you're right in front of them.

Remember, in the state of Georgia a bicycle is a vehicle and has every right to the road that a car does.

Allison said...

Road ID is great. I have one that velcros onto my shoe. Not as versatile for runners and bikers, but I feel better having it on there in case of a dog bite, car accident, or (Lord forbid) a kidnapping -- I could kick off my shoe or drop the tag somewhere. Mostly I'm afraid of dogs though! :)

George Houston said...

Allison - that's funny because I have the same fears about dogs and kidnapping. So when I think about dogs and kidnapping it makes me run faster.